Is Sucralose Safe for Dogs and Cats if Ingested Accidentally?

As pet owners, we often worry about the safety of our furry friends, especially when it comes to what they eat. One common concern is the accidental ingestion of artificial sweeteners, such as Sucralose, by our pets. Sucralose, a zero-calorie artificial sweetener, is commonly used in a variety of food and drink products. But is it safe for our dogs and cats if they accidentally ingest it? Let’s delve into this topic and provide some clarity for concerned pet owners.

What is Sucralose?

Sucralose is a popular artificial sweetener that is up to 600 times sweeter than sugar. It is used in a wide range of food and drink products, including diet sodas, low-calorie desserts, and sugar-free chewing gums. Despite its widespread use in human food, its safety for pets, particularly dogs and cats, is a topic of concern for many pet owners.

Is Sucralose Safe for Dogs and Cats?

According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, Sucralose is not toxic to dogs, cats, or other pets. This means that if your pet accidentally ingests a small amount of Sucralose, it is unlikely to cause serious harm. However, this does not mean that Sucralose is beneficial or recommended for pets. In fact, it’s best to avoid giving your pets any food or drink that contains artificial sweeteners.

Potential Side Effects of Sucralose Ingestion in Pets

While Sucralose is not toxic to pets, it can still cause some side effects if ingested in large amounts. These can include:

  • Upset stomach
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of appetite

If your pet shows any of these symptoms after ingesting Sucralose, it’s best to consult with a veterinarian immediately.

What to Do If Your Pet Ingests Sucralose?

If you suspect that your pet has ingested a large amount of Sucralose, it’s important to act quickly. Here are some steps you can take:

  1. Remove any remaining Sucralose from your pet’s reach.
  2. Monitor your pet for any signs of discomfort or illness.
  3. Contact your veterinarian or a pet poison control center immediately.

Remember, while Sucralose is not toxic to pets, it’s always best to keep it and other artificial sweeteners out of your pet’s reach. Always be mindful of what your pets are eating and ensure they have a diet that is safe and appropriate for their species and breed.


In conclusion, while Sucralose is not toxic to dogs and cats, it’s best to avoid letting them ingest it. If your pet does accidentally consume Sucralose, monitor them closely for any signs of discomfort and consult with a veterinarian if necessary. As always, it’s best to keep your pet’s diet as natural and species-appropriate as possible.